Top that! Tips & trips
- Relish the city’s highlights – its thermal springs, its fine spa architecture and historical sights, its lively cultural events and festivals, its pleasant parks and rich wildlife, and its excellent Hungarian restaurants.
- Pay a visit to the 13th-century Romanesque church at Egregy and the surrounding picturesque vineyards, before taking a walk around the village in the shade of white alders.
- Sample a refreshing glass or two of the local wine in an atmospheric hillside cellar.
- Admire the imposing neo-Baroque Festetics Palace, which is one of the country’s best-preserved aristocratic mansions.
- Trawl Hévíz aboard a miniature train, one of the nicest ways to see the sights.
- Take a trip to the 14th-century ruins of Rezi Castle, and enjoy a bird’s eye view of the stunning scenery from the peak of its dolomite mountain.
- Explore Little Balaton National Park, a protected wetland that harbours thousands of nesting birds, and is a haven for bird watchers and anglers alike.
- Take to the water with a romantic cruise on Lake Balaton, affectionately known as the ‘Hungarian Sea’.