Top that! Tips & Trips
- Head for the hills! Enjoy a challenging hike in the sub-alpine Lövér Hills, and keep an eye out for cyclamen, the pride of the Sopron forests.
- Feel the beating of the hearts of Austria and Slovakia when visiting their capitals Vienna (60 km) and Bratislava (80 km).
- Visit the castles in Burgenland, on the eastern side of Austria, also known as the Land of the Sun: the Lockenhaus Fortress, the haunted castle of Forchtenstein, and the Esterházy Palace in Eisenstadt.
- Visit Nagycenk and the family home of 19th-century reformer Count Széchenyi, lauded as ‘the Greatest Hungarian’.
- Take a short hop to the village of Fertőd and its Esterházy Palace, a Rococo masterpiece that is nicknamed the ‘Hungarian Versailles’.
- Watch a summer opera performance in a soaring cavern at the Fertőrákos stone quarry.
- Get on your bike and pedal around Lake Fertő, a UNESCO World Heritage site that oozes natural beauty.
- Taste some of the country’s leading wines – especially Kékfrankos, produced by the Germanic ‘poncichters’, who traditionally grew beans alongside their vines to make the best use of the land.
- Prepare to be amazed by the bizarre Taródi Castle, a turreted ‘medieval’ folly built by a local eccentric in the mid-20th century.